Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The 4th & Surprise





Okay, so anyone who knows me knows that I had been planning a SURPRISE party for Brent, he is 30 this year and returning to Iraq soon. I know I know… you had no idea about the Iraq thing did you. Sorry, I’m just not one to share our personal business, maybe sometime I will feel like filling you in with the daily Army drama (wink wink).

So, over the past few months I had been planning this party with the help of my sisters and my parents. I was really hoping for a great outcome, because to be quite honest (not rude or spiteful or bitter) we have had some pretty flaky friends over the last few years.
So…I figured, now is as good of time as any to extend an invitation to all of our friends, flaky or not- to see who would come together to celebrate Brent’s B-day, and to show him some love prior to his leaving. Now…don’t get me wrong, this wasn’t a test by any means. I’m just saying I didn’t count anyone out due to past flakiness.

Personally, I think it turned out FABULOUS. Brent’s best friends from junior high were there, a few of my favorite soldiers that will be going back with him came, as well as some of our church friends, friends we have made over the years, and of course my family. My mom and her husband Joe came from Colorado, as did my sis Jodi and her family; I had not seen Jodi in over a year so it was great to spend time with her. My cousin Brandon and his family came from Pinetop and stayed two nights at our house.
Needless to say the weekend was fun filled and absolutely chaotic…but I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

At the party we had lots of food, swimming, mingling and we had a brass band courtesy of my sister Jenny & brother in law Jason playing patriotic music of course.
Ooh, and you can’t forget aunt Laurel’s balloon animals…the kids were lined up out the door. I loved chatting with everyone and watching my girls play with their cousins.

The night was progressing nicely considering my lack of sleep and the 109 degree temperature. When all of a sudden Reilly came to me in an absolute panic. She was crying because she didn’t get to sing her daddy the song she had been practicing (I had no idea what she was talking about). So, when she was able to catch her breath she told me she had a concert for her daddy and she was supposed to sing him the “soldier song” (by three doors down). So, we found Brent who happened to be standing next to his car chatting w/ some friends. He put the CD on and she proceeded to sing almost every word of the song. The guys around were seriously impressed, Brent thankful, and well…I was fighting back tears and had a lump in my throat. It is such a big girl song and she is only four.

If I could have changed anything it would have been the weather; by making it about 30 degrees cooler and the amount of time I had to talk with everyone. I felt like a chicken with my head cut off running around to chat with everyone. I felt over extended in that area; but with that said…everything else was perfect. I couldn’t ask for a better group of family and friends. I really appreciate you all coming and thanks for showing your love and support to Brent and our family during this time. I know this deployment is going to be a lot harder than the last, but with this support group I’m sure we will be just fine.


On a side note... I was so happy the other day when a friend had commented about my blog, and how she didn't know that I had one... but when she read it she really liked it. I was totally shocked. I was starting to think that no one reads my blog. Hello...blog stalkers, don't be shy. Leave a comment. I blog stalk too. :)

1 comment:

Renae said...

That party was great, thanks for inviting us! I'm glad it turned out so well, and you didn't seem like a chicken with its head cut off, if that makes you feel any better :) You have to come over soon, so I can show you all of the fun stuff I've found!!