Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Mmmm...watermelon


I love me some watermelon!

Okay sorry…had to throw in the redneck comment just for fun. When I think of watermelon I think of overalls and John Deere tractors, hot summer days, and the red and white checkered picnic essentials.

So before I go into my little story about watermelon here are some fun facts about the all American treat. Come on…you know you love fun facts, and I love finding them so here we go.

1st Watermelon, considered one of America’s favorite fruits, is really a vegetable! Shocker huh…Citrullus lanatus is actually cousin to the cucumber and kin to the gourd.

2nd Watermelons can range anywhere from 7 to 100 pounds.

3rd The world record for the largest watermelon is 255 pounds. So…I guess fun fact #2 is a lie (rofl).

4th Russians make beer out of watermelon juice (while I prefer to drink the juice prior to the fermenting process).


5th The world record for watermelon seed-spitting is 66 feet 11 inches, by some guy name Jack in Chicago. Wow…way to go Jack!!


So, why all of the watermelons stuff you ask? Man…I’m glad you asked too.

Well, for the party on the 4th of July I bought two huge watermelons. I couldn’t think of a more refreshing thing to munch on than some cool, crisp, sweet, WATERMELON. So, my lovely little sis cut them up in frenzy (I was running late as always) and put it in the extra fridge to chill until the party…and boy did it get cold because I FORGOT to get it out when it was time to eat! So, when we were packing up the leftovers I ran to the extra fridge (in the garage) to get a Mexican Coke for the road (Okay, if you haven’t had the pleasure of a Mexican coke…let me know. That too is a blog-worthy treat). When I noticed a HEAPING Tupperware container packed full of sliced watermelon.

So after a brief argument between my normal self and my dehydrated over- tired self while standing in front of an open refrigerator; I took it home. I was thinking that for sure the girls could help me polish it off, and it is a good snack…right? Well…I spaced the fact that the girls had planned on staying with my parents since my nieces are still in town (they leave tomorrow). So that wasn’t going to happen.

Well- all of that had happened on Saturday night and I’m not sure if I should be proud or totally ashamed but, I have finished the ENTIRE container of watermelon by myself. I had some on Saturday when we got home, and some with (or for) every breakfast lunch and dinner since. Now…in my defense I have been retaining a lot of water lately (haven’t we all) because of the heat, and I had heard that watermelon is a natural diuretic so I did go a little crazy…but it is so good! I feel much better now, and I don’t even have a stomach ache.

That my friends, is why I love me some watermelon!

No comments: