Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Stayin' Alive

Okay, so we are playing pass the germ game again. Reilly has been sick on & off since Friday morning. Today though, she was feeling better so I sent her to school. When I picked her up she seemed her normal self, but quickly became her normal-grumpy self once we got home (she is very tired after school). She was particularly excited about today because Brent’s parents (mammy & bobby) were going to pick her up, and take her to celebrate her birthday (She turned 5 last Thursday) by doing dinner and some other fun grandparent-ish type of stuff. They also kept one present at their house for her to open today…so she was really stoked to go!

Anyway, long story short, when mammy Fisk got to the house to pick up the girls Reilly was curled in the fetal with a blanket saying that she was FREEZING. So, I took her temperature, it was 99.3 so I knew she was sick. Sadly, she just wasn’t feeling up to going so Lyndsey (my sweet angel) went with mammy anyway for some much needed bonding time. No worries, Reilly will get her special day when she is feeling better.
Okay, I’m really trying to be short here… I HAD to drop something off at the armory for daddy Fisk today, so after the big girls left, I scooped Reilly up and put her in the car, and headed out, she puked 5 minutes into the ride. By the time we got back to the house her fever was 102.3 and I was trying to convince her to take some medicine (she HATES medicine more than any kid I know). She wanted me to hold her, so I told her I would hold her if she took the medicine, but otherwise I would put her down.

While holding her and trying to get her to take the Motrin I had premeasured in hand, she just started to sob. I was puzzled, why now? What has got her UPSET now? She then blurts out (in a sobbing-sickly voice) "I JUST WANT TO STAY ALIVE!"
I immediately look at Jessica (nanny) who was sitting to my right; we both had wide eyes to say the least.

Me: Baby, what do you mean, you want to stay alive?
Rei: I don’t want you to put me down!
Me: Oh no baby…not that kind of put you down! I’m going to L-A-Y you down.

Well, poor Reilly in her sweet little mind was thinking I was going to “put her down” like a sick animal, if she didn’t take her medicine. I guess I should choose words more wisely, as she remembered recently that my sister had to put her dog “down” (to sleep) because he was sick. After I explained the difference, she asked me in a soft little voice, to lay her back down on the couch. Then I sang her “I am a child of God” with a shaky voice & tears in my eyes. I just couldn’t imagine what was going through her mind just minutes before.

She must have been comforted though, because she drifted off to sleep quickly.

No comments: