Tuesday, September 8, 2009

French Furniture

Well, I’m thinking that with this post, I may offend some people so read carefully and slowly. Read the post in it’s entirety before jumping to conclusions and hating me right away. Also, remember to be open minded, and if you have something to share or add…by all means. Bring it on!

Now, with a disclaimer like that, I’m sure you are thinking this is going to be some crazy political or “Right Wing” tangent…but it’s not at all. I’m simply expressing my feelings about a few phrases that are often used incorrectly, and it drives me ABSOLUTELY BANANAS!

First: I hear people say all too often “Oh, I could care less.” Really, you could? In saying that you “COULD care less” you are implying that YOU DO CARE! I believe sir and or ma’am that you intend to use the phrase “I COULD’NT CARE LESS” which would imply that you care so little, you literally couldn’t care any less than you do at the said point in time.

Second (the one that made me start this post all together): I hear everyone these days ending all kinds of sentences with the phrase “and what not.” Seriously people, do we need to end every sentence with this phrase? It makes me so crazy that I NEVER use this phrase (I hereby give you permission to beat me profusely about my head and shoulders if I do). Did you know that a “whatnot” is actually a piece of furniture? It is also a synonym for the word knickknacks, and for et cetera. Although it may have a few different meanings, I don’t think I’ll find the need to and “oh and knickknacks” or “oh and a French piece of furniture” to the end of any of my sentences for crying out loud.
For your enjoyment, I’ve copied the definition of a whatnot from the Encyclopedia (just in case you doubt me)

whatnot
series of open shelves supported by two or four upright posts. The passion for collecting and displaying ornamental objects that began in the 18th century and was widespread in the 19th stimulated the production in England and the United States of this whimsically named piece of furniture. The French version was called the etagere. Some examples contain drawers at the base; others have three sides of the upper shelf surmounted with an ornamental board


*Yes, I did say it is sometimes used in place of et cetera, but I only saw that one place while I was researching and I’m wondering if it was put in there because of the constant use of the phrase in that context. I still don’t like it…so there!

3rd: The last one (for now) has been a big one for me since I was in 5th grade. There isn’t an error that makes me crazier than this one.
Drum roll please……A LOT! Yep, seems simple doesn’t it. Well, my friends. I all too often see it spelled alot (funny because the little red line below the incorrect spelling would tip me off). Alot, is NOT A WORD. It will probably never be one either, but that is just my guess. The way my teacher helped me to remember that a lot is TWO WORDS, is by thinking of a parking lot, you would say it is a lot, not alot, right? Yep…I am. Trust me.

See, that wasn’t too bad, was it? I hope I didn’t offend anyone. I’m just venting some of my peeves on here. And yes, I know I’m not perfect (so close it is scary...but nonetheless, still not perfect), and I probably have my share of grammatical errors in this post alone. I just find that I’m a little moody these days and I had to get that off my chest.
Peace out peeps!
J

4 comments:

Renae said...

Amen sista!! I've been venting some of these same frustrations to my husband for a while now! The could care less drives me crazy too! I've never heard anyone else who caught that! My big thing right now is being annoyed with cliche statements that are overused and exaggerated. "That's perfect!" "Let's touch base." "a couple 3 days" and so on...Just say what you mean not these repititious phrases! Ok that's my venting :) Oh and I do sometimes say and whatnot...but it's only to be funny! I don't seriously say that. Ok this was way too long.

Brian and Ginger said...

LOL! You are so cute for pointing that stuff out. I love it! Let me add another one on there for you .... Touché. Way over used and some people have no clue what the heck it really means!!

Cruz Crew said...

LOL!! You are hilarious. Well, that is why we all love you, so you can point out our imperfections. Just kidding.

Jessica said...

well just let me know if I say any of these things and just like do something so I will never say it again. Use your imagination ha ha I hope that I don't but I don't really know so just let me know cuz I don't wanna drive you bananas!