Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Open mouth insert foot

So- right after I had blogged about the things I was thankful for on Sunday morning I got a call from my stepmom that my dad was in the hospital. I seriously freaked out because he is pretty healthy and I have never seen him in the hospital before. So, after working all night Saturday, I spent Sunday morning/afternoon at the hospital. Anyone who knows my dad knows that he is a workaholic and doesn't do well sitting around. So my sister Jamie and I took him some magazines and a "gopher" which is one of those little reaching tools sold on the infomercials by Billy Mays (who Reilly loves by the way) to keep him company. We laughed and joked which was good for my already way too analytical mind. By about 1530 he was tired and needed to take a nap; so my sis and I went and had some lunch at the oh so yummy Macaroni Grill and headed home.

Gloria (step-mom) had suggested I bring the girls to the hospital on Monday to lift dad's spirits, but since they are under 12 that was a no go! Well, Lynds had AIMS testing too...so that threw a wrench in things but oh well. But before heading to work last night I had them call "papa" on his cell phone (remember the workaholic part...yes, he had it right next to his bed). I had given Lynds the phone so she could talk first, but Reilly was throwing a fit, so Lyndsey being the sweet sister that she is gave the phone to Rei where she proceeded to leave the following message for my dad:

"Dear papa, it is me Reilly...Lyndsey painted you a picture that says "Get well soon" on it, and well I painted you some art too, it is a rainbow but it isn't done yet. I hope your tummy feels better. Well that is all I wanted to tell you; so I hope you don't die...bye, love you."

Well...I was MORTIFIED!!! Here I am trying to lift his spirits w/ a phone call and she finishes off with that!! So here is our (Reilly & I) conversation after the message was left.

Me: Reilly!! Honey you don't say that when someone is sick.
Rei: Why? It is the truth mommy, I would just be too sad.

And well... when you drill into your children that they must tell the truth, you can't really argue w/ them when they do right? I was pretty much just hoping that my dad would be groggy from some medicine or just too tired to hear that part.

Anyway! The good news is that he is home now and doing much better, we are all so relieved! Reilly and I just pulled some cupcakes from the oven and will be delivering to him soon.
Oh.. and yes, he heard the message...loud and clear.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

Oh my goodness that is hysterical! I love the things that kids come up with!!!
Glad to hear "Papa" is doing better! :)

Renae said...

Oh no!! That is hilarious! Sweet little innocent children..gotta love em. I'm glad your dad's home now and doing better.

N Godown said...

Reilly is such an awesome little girl. lol. Good laughs. :)